The better you are at retaining clients the less marketing you need to do. One of the reasons that you see so much marketing from other business owners is because they may be great at getting clients but not great at keeping clients.
What is your current rate of retention? I’ve found that the new business owner is lucky if they retain a client for 90 days. This means that for every client you loose in 90 days, you have to replace that client 4 times in a year. No wonder you feel like you have to do so much marketing.
Getting off the roller coaster of client turn-over is all about managing your clients and their progress. It is about adding value in everything you do with your clients and getting them to see the ongoing benefits of continuing to pay for your services.
So how can you add value while managing your current clients so they stay with you longer?
It is easy…if you have the right SYSTEMS in place.
These systems ensure that every client is handled with care and true concern. That each client feels that you are not just there for the call or the meeting but that you are truly their ongoing partner in success. It is also about having ways to monitor their weekly and monthly progress so that they can see and feel the momentum building and the breakthroughs happening.
The systems must be simple and easy to use for both you and your clients. They must be consistent and automated.
- Consistency comforts the client.
- Automattion makes it easy for you.
The Three Key Systems to client retention
SYSTEM #1: Smart Goal setting. Have an automatic system in place for your clients to indicate where they are when they start working with you and what they want to achieve.
- As they close the gap, your clients begin to see the momentum build as well as their return on investment.
- The more progress your clients feel, the more likely they are to stay the course and continue to pay for your services.
SYSTEM #2: Follow up and follow through. You will want to have an automated way to regularly interact with your clients beyond your regular sessions.
- Perhaps a system of instant messaging, an automatic appointment reminder, an evaluation process that allows them to give you feedback on their progress and even a follow up email after your weekly call or meeting.
- These thoughtful and purposeful touches are a great way to let your clients know you are on their team and pulling for them.
SYSTEM #3: Professional and painless billing. Setting up your clients with your merchant account so that they can be billed automatically each month at the same time allows both you and the client to plan for the investment and it eliminates surprises.
- Have your client give written permission for you to charge their credit card on the first day of each month.
- Have professional bills sent at regular intervals.
- When everyone is on the same page with the investment there are no defaults and or uncomfortable questions left hanging.
If you are ready to get off the roller coaster of client retention these 3 systems can make all of the difference.
You can create your own systems or consider The Coaches Console which automates all of the systems mentioned here (and many more) to create a professional and smooth running and profitable service business. Visit the site and take a virtual tour or sign up for a free trial.